Feedback and complaints

Take the "friends and family" test - a simple online survey

We are always keen to take suggestions and constructive criticism of the service we provide. Please feel free to approach either our Complaints Manager or Practice Manager in person - you can make an appointment through reception on 01793 874894. Alternatively write in to

The Complaints Manager
Ridge Green Medical Centre
Ramleaze Drive
Swindon SN5 5PX

You may want to become part of the patient focus group



If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the doctors or any of the staff working in this practice, please let us know. We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of a NHS system for dealing with complaints. Our complaints system meets national criteria.

Practice complaints procedure

We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, often at the time they arise and with the person concerned. If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible - ideally, within a matter of days or at most a few weeks − because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily. If it is not possible to do that, please let us have details of your complaint:
• within 6 months of the incident that caused the problem; or
• within 6 months of discovering that you have a problem, provided this
is within 12 months of the incident (although there are exceptions to this)

Complaints should be addressed to The Complaints Manager. Alternatively, you may ask for an appointment with the Practice Manager in order to discuss your concerns. She will explain the complaints procedure to you and will make sure that your concerns are dealt with promptly. It will be a great help if you are as specific as possible about your complaint.

What we shall do
We shall acknowledge your complaint within three working days and aim to have looked into your complaint within ten working days of the date when you raised it with us. We shall then be in a position to offer you an explanation, or a meeting with the people involved.

When we look into your complaint, we shall aim to:
• find out what happened and what went wrong
• make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this;
• make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate;
• identify what we can do to make sure the problem doesn’t happen again.

Complaining on behalf of someone else
Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have their permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this. We also need to satisfy ourselves that the complaint made on behalf of someone else is made in good faith and will inform you of our decision before proceeding.

Complaining to the health authority
We hope that, if you have a problem, you will use our practice complaints procedure. We believe this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and an opportunity to improve our practice. But this does not affect your right to approach the local health authority, if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us or you are dissatisfied with the result of our investigation.

Independent Primary Care Contractors

If you have a comment or a complaint about a GP, dentist, pharmacy or optician that cannot be resolved by the Practice or Complaints Manager, you can contact NHS England.

Tel: 0300 311 2233


Health Service Ombudsman

We do our best to resolve your complaint however, if you feel that not all of the issues have been addressed, please let us know so that we can agree a way forward.  After this, if we agree that local resolution has not been achieved and you remain unhappy with the outcome,it can be referred to the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman (PHSO).

The Ombudsman is totally independent and will review your complaint. The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman may investigate complaints on your behalf, but only if your complaint has already been investigated at a local resolution. There is no charge for this service.

Telephone: 0345 015 4033
Textphone: 0300 061 4298
(open 8.30am – 5.30pm, Monday to Friday)


Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS)

If you would like to receive independent advice from someone about the NHS complaints process, please contact Healthwatch Swindon, who will offer help and support to those wishing to make a formal complaint about the NHS and can help you to write your letter of complaint and accompany you to any meetings.

Healthwatch Swindon
Swindon Advice and Support Centre
Sanford House
Sanford Street
Swindon SN1 1QH

Tel: 01793 497777